Have you ever found yourself in a situation where your vehicle couldn’t start, and there’s nobody nearby to help you? What can you do in this circumstance?
Do not worry; we are here to help. We will walk you through all the jumping processes with this article. Let’s get started!
Typical Process To Jump Start Dead Car Battery
The original procedure to jumpstart battery is with the aid of another vehicle. This method is quite simple.
You will need someone whose car has a healthy battery. Use a pair of jumper cables to connect the two battery terminals and let the good battery charge the weak one. Once the car’s engine starts running, you can recharge the battery by using the alternator in your automobile.
Still, are you wondering: What if I don’t have access to jumper cables? Can I jump start a car by myself? You can! The step-by-step guide is below
How To Jump Start A Dead Battery Without Another Car?
This push-starting method can only work for automobiles with manual gearboxes (manual transmission), meaning it needs human-produced force to induce the starter motor to spin over.
You will need at least one or two people to assist you in using this push start method. It works in a pinch despite being somewhat labor-intensive. Here is how you do it:
- Enter the vehicle and press the emergency brake (also known as the parking brake). Ask the helpers to stand at the back of the vehicle. Start the engine.
- Keep the emergency brake on, put the clutch down and put your automobile in 2nd gear.
- Depress the brake pedal and let go of the emergency brake. Step off the brake pedal gradually, then tell your assistant to begin pushing.
- Release the clutch after achieving a safe speed (around five mph).
- Suppose the engine starts to work; you are all done! If not, repeat the steps above at a faster speed rate.
Use Jump Boxes
This is the go-to method for those with an automatic transmission. It shouldn’t take long, and you can complete it without help from anyone.
You will need a fully charged jumper box for this procedure. It is an emergency power source or compact, portable battery pack with jumper cables. Fortunately, this little portable jump starter box is quite simple to find at a reasonable price.
Here are the simple steps that you need to follow:
- Start by turning off the engine, then locate the red clamp on the jumper box and attach it to the battery’s positive post. Either a red cap or a “+” will be used to indicate this.
- Connect the jumper box’s black clamp to a sturdy grounding metal or metal surface. You can use a frame of the vehicle as a grounder.
- Switch on the jumper box, then wait a few minutes for the battery to charge. If the car doesn’t start, give it more time to charge and try again.
- When the car has started, switch off the jumper box and unplug the wires from the battery in the opposite direction from how you attached them. Remember to remove the black jumper clip first, then the red.
Advantages Of Jumping A Car Without Another Car
Keeping jumper battery cables in your trunk for emergencies is an excellent idea. However, you won’t need them once you learn how to jump start a dead battery without another car. This way, you are much more independent now than you were before.
You now can easily take steps to address any possible issues with your automobile.
Tips To Keep Your Vehicle Battery From Failing
Knowing how to jumpstart a car by yourself is necessary, but understanding how to prevent the battery from failing is also crucial. Below are some tips you can follow:
- Park your vehicle in the shade to avoid direct sun exposure, as the heat can drain the auto batteries. If you can not find a shady spot, get yourself a car cover so you can protect your automobile from the extreme heat everywhere you go.
- Switch off everything when you park. Ensure all the lights, heaters, wipers, and other systems are off since these can cause the vehicle battery to discharge, resulting in a dead vehicle.
- Take a long drive weekly to keep your accumulator charged.
- Disconnect the battery and move it into a climate-controlled area (such as a basement or garage) if you won’t be driving the automobile for long periods of time (a few days or months).
- Give the battery a regular cleaning to improve its function. Use a brush or a cloth and clean any build-up or corrosion.
- Purchase a battery charger so that you can recharge your weak battery anywhere.
- Take your vehicle for scheduled battery testing sessions to avoid unnoticeable problems and extend the battery life.
How can you jump a car without another car? After reading this article, you have the answer to this question.
With our guide as the back-up plan, you are now prepared to manage any problems that may arise on the road.