4S LiPo voltage might be one of the things you want to know about when choosing the most suitable type for your electronic devices. Also, you should know about charge rates, maintaining optimized battery conditions, battery replacement, etc.
This article will walk you through the basics of LiPo batteries, especially 4S LiPo. Better battery usage and storage are possible, which is helpful for the longevity of mobile phones and batteries.
What Is 4S LiPo Voltage?
Before learning the Voltage of 4S LiPo, you should know what it is. 4S Lipo batteries are rechargeable lithium polymer batteries with four connected cells with lithium-ion technology and polymer electrolyte,
As a result, it can generate higher specific energy. LiPo is a popular choice in mobile devices, radio-controlled aircraft, electric vehicles, etc.
What Is 4 Cell LiPo Battery Voltage?
4S LiPo indicates 4 LiPo cells connected to the battery. Every individual cell has a nominal voltage of 3.6-3.7 volts. Thus, a nominal voltage is around 14.8 volts, and capacity usually ranges from 750 mAh (milliamp hours) to 10+Ah.
The chemical composition is among the influential elements for the exact voltages of LiPo cells. In other words, the cell materials play an important role in their voltage production.
For example, if lithium-metal-oxides (such as LiCoO2) make the most of cells, the Voltage will be around 3.6-3.7 V (fully charged). In the case of lithium-iron-phosphate(LiFePO4), it can reach 3.8 V (charged).
The packs of LiPo batteries have separate pin-outs for all cells in series and parallel charges. Particularly, the battery charger has a specialized design to monitor the charge on a per-cell basis for the same state of charge (SOC).
What Is 4S LiPo Discharge Voltage?
Discharging, also known as draining, indicates the process of a battery losing energy. Normally, the full discharge voltage of 4S LiPo ranges from 1.2 to 2.0V.
It will be best if the battery is in full recharge after usage! Yet, discharging can be an inactive process. It can occur as the battery is left unused for a time.
The note is that the full battery discharge is irreversible. Simply put, you cannot use fully-discharged batteries any longer. So, it is advisable to keep a shallow discharge for a longer lifespan of batteries.
What Voltage Should 4S LiPo Voltage Cutoff?
The cutoff voltage indicates a voltage at which a device is fully discharged. Simply put, the cutoff voltage of 4S LiPo is the same as its discharge rate, from 1.2 to 2.0 V.
It is like a voltage alarm for a timely charge. Otherwise, the batteries will decrease in performance. If you let the batteries reach their voltage cutoff, it leads to an irreversible performance.
Advantages and Disadvantages of LiPo Batteries
Every battery type has pros and cons because of its different chemistry and manufacturing process. Balance charging, power level, max voltage, LiPo charger, battery cells, etc., can be factors for your consideration.
The mixed reviews on LiPo Batteries might confuse you about whether it is worth it. The following content covers both the good and bad sides of the Li-Po battery. Hopefully, it can help you understand LiPo’s 4-cell battery more clearer.
Benefits Of LiPo Batteries That You Will Love
- Outstanding production of specific energy in comparison with other lithium batteries.
- Various applications for compact-size and lightweight devices, such as smartphones, thin laptops, smart wearables, etc.
- It is capable of holding more power thanks to high energy offers. In other words, it has a higher battery capacity.
- Having higher safety against explosion with specialized design and manufacture.
- Long energy maintenance saves it from instant discharging for more convenient uses.
- The lifespan of LiPo batteries is greater than 1000 times that of Li-Ion batteries.
- Charging LiPo batteries takes a short time. An instant charging process is ideal for our hustle life.
Drawbacks Of LiPo Batteries That You Need To Know
- LiPo batteries support only around 300 to 400 cycles of recharge life.
- It is necessary to have specialized care and caution when charging, discharging, and storage charges.
- Although stating that it is safe from explosion, there are possibilities for unfortunate accidents. So, it is advisable to follow basic safety tips during series charging, proper storage voltage, etc.
- It has a higher cost, specifically double the price of a Li-Ion battery. The individual price of this battery can range from $20 to hundreds of dollars.
Exciting time with your phones or smooth operation of your electronic equipment heavily depends on the energy the batteries provide. So, it is essential to equip yourself with the basics of this battery type.
We start with the simple definition and address the information about constant Voltage, tips for your health and safety, etc., when using LiPo batteries.
4S LiPo voltage shows the power capacity LiPo batteries can provide. This aspect is not the only thing you can take away from this article. We also cover why cell performance degradation happens, the proper how-tos of cell safety, etc.